Landolt + Brown along with architect trained artist Wendy Hardie have been chosen by TfL, in partnership with Haringey Council and the GLA, to design a new station at White Hart Lane and provide affordable workspace for local businesses partially housed within a vaulted brick viaduct adjacent to the station. This part of North Tottenham was heavily redeveloped in the 1950’s and 60’s, losing much of it’s heritage in it’s wake, and is set to undergo sweeping change as part of the redevelopment of Tottenham Hotspurs Football Stadium and Ground located close by.
As a foil to this, Adam Brown who leads the architectural team, working from the outset of the project alongside the research based, conceptually narrative approach of the artist, has pursued a design approach and development that draws deliberate and in depth reference to the remarkable lost industries of horticulture, market gardening and pot-making which dominated the area in the late 19th and early 20th Century, and which was predated by medieval Tottenham’s first industry of brick making, then tile making and apothecary. The team have sought to create something uniquely local, place-specific and fine-grained, to celebrate and re-connect with Tottenham’s oldest industries as a foil to the substantial scale and commercial character of the new football ground development. The project gained unanimous planning consent in 2016.
The facade screen is to be made of real terracotta pots, modelled directly from the historic ones produced on White Hart Lane itself. They will appear the same but be architecturally manufactured for appropriate robustness. The folding form of the elevation, with its lapped plate glass louvres, draws inspiration from the rows of horticultural glass nurseries that used to be manufactured and sited locally in Tottenham, up until the 1920’s (even on the original Spurs football ground). These are still seen in modern form in the nearby Lee Valley where the industries were forced to move out to in the face of increased urban development. The interior of the station will echo the drying sheds of the Potteries and potting sheds of the nurseries with its folded, timber joisted roof and the materiality of the nurseries with terracotta tiles, cast iron and rusted steel. Copper panelled screens within the viaduct arches, with small areas of bronze detailing, will celebrate the craft and beauty of the world famous, little changed watering can created by Haws in nearby Clapton over a 100yrs ago. The public realm around the station buildings has been designed with brick pavers and substantial terracotta planters with miniature apple trees to celebrate the medieval industry of brick making and to reference the brick drying field and working orchards that lay to the south of White Hart Lane a few centuries earlier. Scented climbing and standard roses have been proposed by the artist and architect for the screening wall of the old station’s modern workaday staircase which at present is visible from Tottenham High Rd. paying homage to Tottenham earliest market gardening, when fields of roses were grown for apothecary in the early 1600s.